ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Inspect boat for safety.
- Make sure the boat is fueled and oil checked before launching.
- Discuss boat path with PWC Driver.
- Discuss pick up procedure.
- Check radio communications
- Before turning ignition, call out "Clear" and wait for a response.
- Whenever close to a person in the water shut off boat.
- Always approach a skier from driver's side of boat (i.e., to pick up a down skier or bringing the rope to skier in water).
- All persons are to be seated inside of boat before moving. Do not allow passengers to sit on gunnels, engine cover, or seat back.
Observer/Quick release operator
- Operate quick release
- Manage the ropes and handles
- When in doubt pull the pin
- Coach student thru signals or thru the radio helmet
- Relay signals from skier to tow boat Driver
- Communicate student’s progress to Shore Help for entry into Student’s progress report
- The observer should repeat the signal back to the skier. This tells the skier that the observer has seen his signal and told the driver.
- If student falls before returning to start area, Jumper will assists student with starts
- May assist Water Starters to “catch” Student as Student returns to the start area
- May coach or instruct Student from chase boat
- Assist Student into water
- Assesses Student for water safety
- Assist Student with equipment
- Assist Student with static balance and pre-start procedures
- Remind Student of proper start and ski position and use of communication signals
- Assist Student with Start Process
- “Catch” Student upon return to the start area
- Assist Student out of water
- Return all equipment to set up area
- Assist the participant to maintain balance
- Assesses student
- Orientates student to various equipment options
- Fits student in appropriate equipment, PFD, communication helmet, wet suit
- Make sure the cage / outriggers are well secured to the board.
- Make sure the fitting is snug ( hips and knees ) but not to tight
- Extreme caution should be taken to insure that no part of the skier's posterior comes in contact with the metal supports of the cage!
- At least two-fingers space must be maintained between the skier and the frame.
- Instruct student with proper start and ski positions
- Review communication signals and test the communication helmet.
- Assist student to water
- Updates student’s progress notes with assessment info and equipment set up
- Assist student out of water
- Assist student with removal of PFD/wet suit
- Communicate with tow boat personnel for lesson update
- Completes student’s progress notes
- Inform Dock Master of availability for next student
- Captures the smiles of participants and volunteers!